Featured Post

An introduction

I have started a new blog. What for? Well, I suppose it's on online journal in a way. I don't really do New Years resolutions, I thi...

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Plant based

I feel like vegetarianism (in all it's different aspects) and veganism are things that are growing fairly rapidly. It's for sure one of many things that is really great about the whole Netflix documentary thing that has become so big. People are really starting to analyze the way they live their lives, and we are choosing to make better decisions for ourselves and our families, instead of just going along with society like a mindless robot....

I haven't eaten meat in about a month. I seemed to continually run across documentaries, health articles, or pod casts boasting the benefits of a plant based diet. I decided to give it a try, tip toeing at first before I went all the way in. Right now I'm a vegetarian, or specifically, something like a Lacto-vegetarian (eats dairy) and Ovo-vegetarian (eats eggs). Eventually I want to go strict vegan, but it's a process and learning how to pack my food for an entire day at work can be hard at times.

Since deciding to adopt this lifestyle, I have experienced a monumental shift in my way of life and how I view things. Strictly speaking about my physical body, I have lost fat and maintained my muscle. I used to have some issues with my stomach, specifically bouts of stomach pain and constipation (sorry if that's TMI). Those issues cleared up almost immediately. I have high energy levels, a good mood, and I notice no negative impact at this time. These are the small things that this lifestyle change did for me. Voluntarily choosing to change the way I live opened a door for me that I never knew was closed. I know this might sound kind of cheesy, but I started to really reflect on the way I lived. I have since adopted a form of minimalism, I strive to live a very intentional life and I am truthful and I attempt to leave a positive impact on those I come across.

Now, are all these lifestyle changes directly attributed to eating plants? No, of course not. It was the act of doing something intentionally that caused this damn to open up. So many of us are just going through our lives like our parents did.... this is how it's always been. Hold up. Stop thinking like that. We are human beings, capable of anything! The human spirit is a beautiful thing, but it has to be nurtured and allowed to blossom. Feed your spirit, and it will most certainly return the favor.

Anyways! Back on topic. When people ask me why I stopped eating meat, here are my reasons.

1. From the knowledge that I currently have, and am striving to attain more of, it seems to me that it can be a very healthy diet.
2. I am of the opinion that big agriculture is really bad for the environment. Environmental conservation is very important to me, so this is a way for me to help.
3. I am living a life of non-violence and compassion. If I can get all of my nutrition in a manner in which nothing has to die, why wouldn't I?

Those are my reasons. Additionally, food is still super delicious! Not too long ago I made some vegan burritos and they were amazing!

Whole grain brown rice
Pinto beans
Garlic, onion, tomatoes, and jalapeno roasted in olive oil
Fresh Avocado
Siracha! Everyone loves Siracha!

So, that's that. I'm not going to criticize anyone who eats meat or tell people how to live their life. You won't see me on the corner with a meat is murder sign. I'm just saying, think about it. Cows and piggies are alive! They don't have to die just so we can have a crappy burger :-(

13 comments:

  1. We wish you all the luck in your journey into veganism. We have been vegan for 7 years and would never go back! It is the only thing that makes sense! We have some posts on veganism, and if you need any help be sure to send us an email!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'll be keeping an eye on your blog!

      Delete
  2. It's really interesting to hear from someone who's just trying this out. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your decision. I think this is something that needs to be decided based on each individuals health needs. We are by nature omnivorous. Due to medical reasons I don't eat as much meat as I used too, but its not something that personally I will cut out entirely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's absolutely a personal decision and not something I would try and force on anyone.

      Delete
  4. Glad you decided to try this and that it has worked so well for you - it's definitely not for me, though. I love meat, which is handy since I actually have health issues connected to making sure that I eat plenty of protein.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian my entire life (my parents raised me that way). I glad you're experiencing benefits. I read somewhere once that meat eaters have approximately 5-15 lbs of undigested meat in their guts at any given time...EWW (how's that for TMI ;) )?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gross! Ha ha, but I have heard similar things in the past. I might stick with the ovo thing because I love eggs and it seems like a responsible way to get food as long as they come from a good source.

      Delete
  6. I can't keep up...lacto and ova. I think that if you find you feel better by eliminating certain foods/ food groups... you owe it to yourself and your body to head that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same exact way you do towards animals. I am wholeheartedly against big AG - whether it's the poisons being sprayed on our fruits and veggies or the inhumane treatment of pigs, chickens, and cows. For this reason, I only buy free-range eggs (which are completely different from cage free and traditional), local beef and chicken from small farms, and as far as veggies, what we don't grow at home, I buy organic.

    If I didn't have access to local meat, I would NOT eat it! I do not and will not ever buy meat from a traditional grocery store (where the animals are raised on feed lots).

    Lastly, I try not to ridicule others for eating meat that's raised inhumanly. Instead, I try to inform because I think a lot of it is just plain ignorance.

    Maybe if people were more aware of where their food comes from then there would be a change - but until then, I don't see it happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great outlook and I am happy to hear that you are so responsible with where your food comes from. Most people don't even think about it!

      Delete
  8. I'd be curious to see how this does for you. I have seriously been considering changing over to plant-based diets due to all my health issues and the foods I've been eating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to make the switch or at least give it a try. My son already has a pretty strict diet of NO sugar because his body cannot digest it. I just need ideas of what to make because that is my down fall.

    ReplyDelete