Featured Post

An introduction

I have started a new blog. What for? Well, I suppose it's on online journal in a way. I don't really do New Years resolutions, I thi...

Sunday, January 8, 2017

An introduction

I have started a new blog. What for? Well, I suppose it's on online journal in a way. I don't really do New Years resolutions, I think they are a bit hokey. However, I suppose starting a new year can be beneficial for some because you can make a promise that this year will be better. So I guess I am doing a bit of that.

2016 was rough. It was the most challenging year of my entire life no doubt. I was deployed for the first couple months of it, went back and forth in my marriage, ultimately deciding to initiate a divorce, I've had some issues at work that almost became very damaging to my career, and much more, but this outlet isn't for bitching about my problems. On the contrary, it's about overcoming them and never giving up.

While I don't necessarily have a New Years resolution for 2017, I do however plan to rip this year apart, and I mean that in a good way. I will be very healthy, focusing on the best options for me when it comes to diet and exercise. I will be a good friend. I will be a good father. I will make good financial decisions. I will go on adventures. I will rarely say no to an opportunity, regardless of what it is. I will be helpful to my neighbors and community. I will volunteer. I will donate. I will live a meaningful life.

That sure sounds like a lot, but I think I can make it. I'm not promising to be a saint by any means. Everyone has their own moral compass and I have no illusions about becoming the next Dalai Lama. It's about balance. It's okay to be bad, as long as you are not bad all the time.

As I focus on living a meaningful life, I will be attempting to examine the hows, whats, and whys in this process, and documenting them here. I cannot promise to post all the time and I do not know how long I will keep up with this process, but I intend to share my findings, in the hopes that they might provide assistance to another. I plan for each post to examine one specific topic in my self reflections, enabling readers to hand pick from the subject in which they are interested.

So, join me if you will, and live better. First off understanding that this process has to be about yourself. You cannot be a better you for someone else. It doesn't work that way. First you must be a better you for yourself, and then you will inherently be a better you for others as well. Make sense? Being selfish is good at times, because when you are always giving, sometimes you can give too much. So sit back, stand up, or do whatever you must, but lets get started.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that we should be better for oursleves first and not for someone else. You are like me, I do not do New Year resolutions too.

    ReplyDelete