Featured Post

An introduction

I have started a new blog. What for? Well, I suppose it's on online journal in a way. I don't really do New Years resolutions, I thi...

Monday, January 16, 2017

Diet

Diet..... this one is tough for a lot of people. Ask anyone who is really strong, really fit, etc. and they will usually tell you that working out is the easy part. Diet is a much more difficult process. Hours of meal prep every weekend, this or that is so bad for you, how many grams of protein do I need, how many calories should I be taking in..... Argh! So many things to think about and it gets so overwhelming!

I chose to simplify things for myself, and it's my recommendation to anyone else who wants to be more healthy. Additionally, this really goes for anything life, not just eating better. Start small. Take baby steps. Maybe at first you just take away something like drinking soda. A couple weeks later maybe you try and limit fast foods to only once or twice a week. Things like this are very beneficial and have a huge impact. As it stands right now, I try and keep my daily consumption of added sugar as low as possible, and I avoid processed foods as much as I can. These are the things I have done so far. In the future I may take a crack at going vegetarian/vegan and keep my diet super clean, but I'm not there yet. If I tried to go from how I was a few months ago to being a strict vegan overnight it would fail miserably I'm sure. These things are tough and need to be approached gently.

I will tell you that any change you make is a step in the right direction. Since I have limited my sugar and processed food intake, and just generally trying to make good diet decisions daily, I feel better already. I have more energy, I'm in a better mood, I'm more motivated to stay busy, I'm more motivated in the gym. I just generally feel good, and that in turn fuels a desire to push things even farther. Lately I've become so interested in the diet and the way our bodies intake food that I've even contemplated completely changing my degree path and focusing on health and nutrition. We shall see though, remember, one step at a time.

Back tracking real quick to the sugar thing. The American Heart Association recommends daily intake of sugar not exceed 37.5 grams for men and 25 grams for woman, sorry ladies.... One 12 oz can of Mountain Dew has 46 grams of sugar. 46 grams in one can! So if you drink one soda you are over your daily limit. How many people do you know that drink soda, sweet sea, sugar filled coffees, energy drinks, etc. all day long? A lot of people do. These drinks do nothing for you and in my opinion should be the first thing to go in any new health plan. If you need the caffeine boost now and then, black tea or black coffee is great! Yes it might not taste like dessert but your pallet quickly adapts to changes and before you know it black coffee/tea will taste A-OK! Maybe try purchasing a higher quality brew to help with the transition.

In closing, take baby steps with your health and fitness goals. Don't try and become super strict about it overnight. Ease into this new lifestyle a small piece at a time. And ditch the sugar filled, nutritionally empty junk!


31 comments:

  1. I love to run and I have hurt my knee. I haven't run in 2 months but I'm taking baby steps towards losing those last few stubborn pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I read this a few years ago!!!! I highly recommend the baby step program as I went overboard with working out and vitamins EEK problems.... xoxo Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such a mistake if/when people decide to change everything immediately. Their efforts tend to back-fire and then BAM, back in the sweat and eating bon bons they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it normally doesn't last long. The New Years people have already mostly left the gym! That's good for me though ;-)

      Delete
  4. I could never take away soda. I'd be horrid to be around. But I do try to watch my sweets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not try coffee or tea? Even if you drink diet soft drinks, that fake sugar is still really bad for you!

      Delete
  5. I love your baby steps approach! It's much more in line with the adaptation and change of a lifestyle as a whole, rather than a drastic diet which can be picked up and put down at a whim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great approaches. I cut off sugar and and slowly cutting down on dairy. Slow small steps at a time for big changes. I've been doing it for two weeks and am feeling great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the baby step, it allow to keep a good health and firm body ..thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I never put it in perspective how much sugar is in a soft drink! Maybe that should be the first thing I cut out in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are definitely right. Small steps at a time for a new lifestyle just to acquaint yourself first with the changes that you wanted to achieve for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to do something so badly, but I just don't have the motivation. I have got to get there! It's time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motivation is everywhere if you look for it. For your kids, to be healthy and be around for them longer? For your partner, to look good for them? For yourself, to feel the best you have in your entire life? It's everywhere, just tap into the one that works for you.

      Delete
  11. It's what we eat that really helps us become more healthy and lost weight in the process as well. I think it's important to find what diet works best for you so that you won't feel pressured or stressed to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say diet is about 75% of a healthy lifestyle and exercise is 25%. So it's crucial!

      Delete
  12. We can't jump on a diet and expect ourselves to be well adjusted to it just like that. It takes time, not to mention that you have to find a diet that suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is really important to take small steps when starting to diet because it really is a daunting task! I always have to remind myself to look for the things I did right and have changed.

    Kaitlyn
    www.mypostpartumlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think for some baby steps work. But I think others need to jump in with both feet. Everyone needs to learn what works best for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. There is no one right way, just the right way that works for you.

      Delete
  15. Starting small especially with something like a diet is important. All of your changes and results will not happen overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm doing Weight Watchers this year. Switching over from online only to going to meetings. I need to do what has worked for me in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Small changes are definitely key to creating a healthier lifestyle for one's self! Thank you for putting some real, quality advice out there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally agree, baby steps is what will make lasting lifelong healthy habits! Slow and steady wins the race!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm on diet one week so far and yes it's really hard. I'm learning how to live healthier

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's really hard to stay on track when you're on a diet. What I do is I stopped drinking sodas and eating ice cream, ice cream being my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want to start on my weight loss journey and I'm scared I wish I maintain to always on track.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is great you are only eating plant based foods. I still eat chicken thats about it for the meats. I don't know if I can go completely without meat. It would be a struggle I think since I do not like a lot of vegetables.

    ReplyDelete